Kerosene Heater Ignites Gas Fumes in Repair Shop
Connect with us
Close Sidebar Panel Open Sidebar Panel

News

Kerosene Heater Ignites Gas Fumes in Repair Shop

A technician in Chattanooga, TN, escaped injury when a vehicle he was working on slipped off a jack stand, puncturing the gas tank. A nearby kerosene heater ignited the leaking gas. The resulting fire caused an estimated $120,000 in damage.

Advertisement

A technician in Chattanooga, TN, escaped injury when a vehicle he was working on slipped off a jack stand, puncturing the gas tank. A nearby kerosene heater ignited the leaking gas. The resulting fire caused an estimated $120,000 in damage.

Advertisement

Below is the article as it appeared on the WDEF-TV Channel 12 website.

Fire Damages Auto Repair Shop on Moody Sawyer Road

February 8, 2011

Chattanooga firefighters responded to a fire late Tuesday morning at an auto repair garage, which is located at 5611 Moody Sawyer Road.

Lt. Henry McElvain with the Fire Investigation Division said an employee at the shop was working on a car around 11:30 a.m. when the vehicle slipped off the jack stand.  As the car fell, the gas tank was punctured and fuel spewed out.

Lt. McElvain said the shop was kept warm by a kerosene heater.  When the gas fumes reached the open flame of the heater, the area ignited into flames. The employee got out of the garage uninjured and called 911.

Advertisement

To read this article on the WDEF-TV Channel 12 website, visit http://wdef.com/news/fire_damages_auto_repair_shop_on_moody_sawyer_road/02/2011.

Advertisement
Click to comment
Connect
Brake & Front End