A technician in Hyannis, MA, was burned when an open container of gas was ignited by a spark from a torch. The technician was treated for moderate burns to his hands and head area. The car that was on the lift was also damaged in the fire.
Below is the article as it appeared on the Cape Cod Times website.
Man burned after gasoline ignites in Hyannis
By Cynthia Mccormick
February 03, 2011
A man received burns to his hands, face and head yesterday afternoon after an open bucket of gasoline ignited at a Hyannis car repair business, Hyannis Fire Department officials said.
Workers at Monroe Muffler Brake and Service had drained gasoline out of a vehicle into an open bucket on the floor, said Hyannis Fire Dept. Dep. Chief Dean Melanson.
An employee broke out a torch to cut some bolts off a vehicle and do exhaust work and the bucket cut on fire, Melanson said.
The burn victim, whom fire officials did not name, said the bucket flashed in his face and ignited his shirt.
To read this article on the Cape Cod Times website, visit http://www.capecodonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20110203/NEWS11/110209921.