Models affected: R50/R53
The Check Engine, Anti-lock Braking System (ABS), Automatic Stability Control (ASC), Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) or Flat Tire Monitor Lights on a 2002 Mini Cooper are turned on. Various faults may be stored in the ABS/ASC/DSC fault memory.
Moisture may have penetrated the ABS/ASC/DSC control unit and wheel speed sensor connector, causing corrosion on the pin contacts.
1. Check for any indication that the moisture has penetrated the ABS/ASC/DSC control unit or the connectors for the wheel speed sensors.
2. Replace the following parts if moisture is present in the connectors or if the connectors are corroded.
a. Control unit (Follow Repair Instructions 34 52 515 for Replacing ABS/ASC Control Unit or 34 52 516 for Replacing DSC Control Unit.)
b. Connector housing.
– 47-pin connector housing at the wiring harness for the ABS/ASC/DSC control unit, P/N 61 13 0 306 846.
– Female socket contacts (1.5 x 0.63 mm), P/N 61 13 0 306 845, with sealing sleeve, P/N 61 13 0 306 844.
– Female socket contacts (5.2 x 0.63 mm), P/N 61 13 0 146 396, with sealing sleeve, P/N 61 13 0 146 397.
c. Wheel speed sensors (replace only if corroded)
– 2-pin female socket housing at the wiring harness for the left and right wheel speed sensors, P/N 61 13 0 390 476.
– Female socket contacts (0.2-0.5 mm), P/N 61 13 0 030 855.
– Front left and right wheel speed sensors, P/N 34 52 6 756 384.
– Repair the wheel speed sensors by following Repair Instructions RA 34 52 525.
d. Terminal ring on the ABS ground pin.
Important note: When disconnecting the 47-pin and 2-pin connectors from the wiring harness, make sure that the female socket contacts are not removed from the housing. In addition, 1 cm of cable should remain on the female socket contacts and on the ground cable terminal ring. Replaced parts will be requested through the warranty system for analysis. Therefore, take care not to damage replaced parts during removal.
3. Apply dielectric contact grease, P/N 83 23 0 149 149, to the contact areas of the new connector to prevent future moisture penetration.
Courtesy of Mitchell 1.