“Service Engine Soon” is illuminated and fault code 048 (“Converter lock-up excessive slip, currently present”) is stored in the EGS transmission control module.
E46: 323i, 325i, 330i with M52TU, M54, M56 and ZF 5HP19;
E39: 525i, 530i with M54 and ZF 5HP19; and
E85: Z4 roadster 2.5, 3.0 with M54 and ZF 5HP19.
Deterioration of the torque converter turbine shaft seal may have occurred.
1. Remove the torque converter. For the removal procedure, refer to repair manual RA24 40 002.
2. Drain the fluid out of the torque converter, and carefully inspect the turbine shaft seal. Check inside the bottom of the torque converter for signs of damage (cracks, splits, etc.). See Fig. 1.
Helpful Hints: Use a small flashlight to illuminate the inside bottom of the torque converter to examine the turbine shaft seal. The turbine seal is brownish/orange in color and measures approximately 1” in diameter.
3. If evidence of seal deterioration is found, replace the torque converter.
4. Additionally, if the transmission fluid shows signs of deterioration (ie. dirty fluid), the fluid should be replaced in conjunction with the fluid strainer. For the strainer replacement procedure, refer to repair manual RA24 31 151.
5. Refill/top off the fluid level according to repair manual RA 00 11 500, using ESSO ATF LT 71141 (P/N 83 22 9 407 807).
Courtesy of ALLDATA.
For additional information, visit www.alldata.com.