2007 Wrangler, Sebring, Nitro, Compass, Patriot and Caliber
The vehicle operator may experience an illumination of the Electronic Stability Program (ESP) lamp on the vehicle instrument cluster. The ESP lamp illumination may be due to the following Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs):
• C121A – Steering Angle Sensor Not Initialized
• C2205 – Steering Angle Sensor Internal
This condition, and DTCs, may be intermittent. If the above DTCs occur during a drive cycle, then the ESP lamp will remain illuminated until the end of that drive cycle (key off).
Using a StarSCAN with the appropriate Diagnostic Procedures available in TechCONNECT, verify all engine systems are functioning as designed. If DTCs are present record them on the repair order and repair as necessary before proceeding further with this bulletin.
If the vehicle operator describes or experiences the Symptom/ Condition, perform the Repair Procedure.
SPECIAL TOOLS / EQUIPMENT REQUIRED:
The StarSCAN diagnostic scan tool fully supports Internet connectivity. However, in order to take advantage of this feature you must first configure the StarSCAN for your dealership’s network. For instruction on setting up your StarSCAN for the dealer’s network; refer to the StarSCAN Quick Start Networking Guide available on the website under the “download center.”
NOTE: If this flash process is interrupted/aborted, the flash should be restarted.
1. Open the hood and install a battery charger. Using a voltmeter, verify that the charging rate provides 13.2 – 13.5 volts. Set the battery charger to continuous charge. Do not allow the charger to time out during the flash process. Remove the charger from the battery when the flash process is complete.
NOTE: Do not allow the charging voltage to climb above 13.5 volts during the flash process.
2. Connect the CH9410 StarSCAN ethernet cable to the StarSCAN and the dealer’s network drop.
3. Connect the CH9404 StarSCAN vehicle cable to the StarSCAN and the vehicle.
4. Power ON the StarSCAN.
5. Retrieve the old ECU (SAS) part number. Using the StarSCAN at the “Home screen”:
a. Select “ECU View.”
b. Touch the screen to highlight the ECU (SAS) in the list of modules.
c. Select “More Options.”
d. Select “ECU Flash.”
e. Record the part number at the top of the “Flash” PCM screen for later reference.
f. Select “Browse for New File.” Follow the on screen instructions.
g. Select “Download to Scantool.”
h. Select “Close after the download is complete, then select “Back.”
i. Highlight the listed calibration.
j. Select “Update Controller.”
k. When the update is complete, select “OK.”
NOTE: Due to the ECU (SAS) programming procedure, a DTC may be set in other electronic modules within the vehicle, if so equipped. Some DTCs may cause the MIL to illuminate. From the “Home” screen select “System View.” Then select “All DTCs.” Press “Clear All Stored DTCs” if there are any DTCs shown on the list.
Courtesy of Mitchell 1.
Brake and Front End Staff
Latest posts by Brake and Front End Staff (see all)
- Control Arm Bushing Replacement Proper Tools & Procedures Optimize Service - Jul 16, 2015
- Air Ride Diagnostics: Reservoirs and Compressors - Jun 25, 2015
- Ford: ABS Light On With DTCs C1175, C1236, P0500 or P0503 - Apr 15, 2015